Efficient design takes just 20 weeks to complete.
Combines live lessons, online videos, and real-time practice to maximize learning retention.
Taught by world-class healthcare experts and NBC-HWCs.
Approved by the National Board for Health & Wellness Coaching.
- Welcome to the Program
- What is Health Coaching
- How is the Health coaching profession different from other professions
- What’s in scope for a Health Coach (and What Isn’t)
- Ways of Thinking about Health & Wellness
- Illness/Wellness Continuum
- Health/Illness Through a Functional Lens
- Self-Determination Theory, Social Cognitive Theory & Coaching Applications
- Transtheoretical Model of Change
- Intro to Motivational Interviewing
- Powerful Questions / OARS
- Mindfulness Tools & Mindful Coaching
- Nonviolent Communication
- Appreciative Inquiry
- Maintain Professional Behavior
- Creating the Alliance: Domination vs Collaboration Paradigm & Creating Rapport
- The Coaching Agreement
- SMART Goal-Setting
- How Do We Measure Progress in Coaching?
- Navigating Feedback, Apps and The Quantified Self
- Self-Monitoring & Management of Triggers and Boundaries
- Conflicts of Interest
- Ending the Coaching Relationship
- Shadow Work
- Work-Life Balance
- Mind-Body Skills in Coaching
- Healthy Thought Habits
- The Stress Response as Core Driver of Disease
- The Effects of Stress & Healthy Ways to Cope
- Letting Go & Acceptance
- Introduction to Sleep
- Lifestyle Behaviors & Their Impact on Sleep
- Coaching Clients on Sleep
- Chronic Disease I
- Coaching on Physical Activity
- Chronic Disease II
- Nutritional Models & Ways of Eating
- Nourishment & Disordered Eating
- Addictions & Tobacco Cessation
- Chronic Disease III
- Act in the Best Interest of the Client
- The Importance of Ethics
- NBHWC Standards of Ethical Conduct
- HIPAA Intro & Terminology, Confidentiality, Coach/Client Agreement, Conflicts of Interest, Seeking Consultation or Supervision as Needed
- Practice in Best Compliance of the Law
- Maintain Security & Privacy of Clients
- HIPAA Detail
- Federal & State Regulations that Affect Health Coaching, Admin Requirements & Safeguards
- Putting It All Together/ Building a Health Coaching Business
- Final Exam Preparation
Fund Your Future
Graduates of this program are eligible to apply for the HWC Certifying Examination.
Our program is centered on an interactive, cohort-based learning experience
This program weaves together theory and practice through 75 hours of instruction combined with interactive coaching triads, live office hours & regular feedback sessions.
*class is taught separately.
Frequently Asked Questions
This can include - but is not limited to - nutrition approaches, fitness/activity plans, stress management protocol and broader lifestyle adjustments that will help clients reach their wellness goals.
The most effective coaches motivate, support and demonstrate unconditional positive regard for their clients and believe in their capacity to change.
A health coach can also:
Empower and educate clients to advocate for themselves in their healthcare setting. Assist clients to find a network of providers that best support their needs and wellness goals. Support clients in achieving health goals and behavioral changes which are consistent with their healthcare providers treatment plans. Help clients shift their perspective to see new opportunities and release limiting beliefs. Enable clients to increase their primary food, improve nutrition, and make lifestyle shifts to promote overall health and well-being. A health coach does not diagnose conditions or prescribe any individualized treatments, tests, or supplements for conditions. What health coaches can say about nutrition, exercise and lifestyle varies by state and by country.
With greater availability of health and wellness coach training programs than ever before, ensuring baseline qualification of coaches - and the organizations training them - has become critical to advancing the industry’s standard of care.
Our Health Coach Certification is Approved Health and Wellness Coach Training & Education Program by the National Board for Health and Wellness Coaching (NBHWC).
Graduates of this program are eligible to apply for the HWC Certifying Examination to become National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
- Have an associate’s degree or higher or 4,000 hours of work experience in any field.
- Complete an NBHWC approved training program.
- Complete 50 health & wellness coaching sessions (upon graduation from approved training program).
Once you have met these qualifications, you must apply for the National Board Certification Exam and score 80% or higher.
1. Our program not only provides best-in-class coaching fundamentals, but does so through a uniquely holistic mindbodygreen perspective.
2. Our weekly training has been thoughtfully designed to maximize knowledge retention & skill building in the shortest period of time possible (versus spreading the course over 6- or 12-months).
3. Our curriculum includes abundant real-time practice, including peer & faculty mock coaching feedback, to ensure you are confidently ready to serve as a health coach by the time you graduate.
4. Certified health coaches - NBC-HWCs - will teach, train and mentor you through every step of the process. We truly believe that there is no better way for you to learn than from professionals who have successfully earned their board credentials and spent hundreds of hours working with clients.
5. Our support doesn’t end upon graduation: we are committed to helping to position all of our students for success - not only through connection to our extensive wellness community but through access to a robust network of graduates for opportunity sharing, continuing education and more.
If you’d like to learn more about what makes our Health Coach Certification stand apart, we invite you to chat with a Program Advisor firstname.lastname@example.org
The Functional Nutrition Training provides in-depth insight on functional nutrition. It’s a fantastic complement to the Health Coach Certification, and as an advanced training to build upon nearly any health & wellness discipline.
Why? mindbodygreen’s ambition, since being founded over a decade ago, has been to make high quality wellness information widely accessible.
- Good internet connection
- Laptop & Zoom account (free)
- Familiarity with Zoom
- Printer access
Kindly note that Zoom is required for recording your practice sessions (a prerequisite for all board-approved programs) and the recording feature is not supported on mobile or tablet devices. A laptop or desktop computer is required.
Given this fact, it is important to ensure that you are in a position to commit to the requirements of the program for 20 weeks. The majority of this program is delivered through required live instructional hours taught at set times each week.
While we understand life events can interfere with participation, students who miss more than a few lessons and are not able to attend make-up sessions will be encouraged to complete the course during the next enrollment cycle.
Refund requests up to Week 3 of the Health Coach Certification will receive a 75% refund, less a $250 admin fee. No refunds will be granted after Week 3 of the program.
My name is Colleen and I’m the co-founder of mindbodygreen.
I wish I had this Health Coaching Certification program over a decade ago for myself, my family and my community.
When I had a life threatening pulmonary embolism over a decade ago, it was a catalyst for me to start thinking about my own health and well-being journey.
What’s so great about this program?
Well, first, it’s NBHWC certified, taught by the gold standard in health coaches.
Second, it’s more affordable than other options out there.
Third, it takes less time to complete, while providing top quality education.